Villa Ottolenghi Wedekind, the magnificence of a Country Home that dominates the hillsides of the Alto Monferrato territory, the only example of its kind to be found throughout the whole of Italy that involved an intense collaboration between architects, painters, sculptors and investors to give life to a country home full of wonderful works of art. In 1920 Count Arturo Ottolenghi and his wife Herta von Wedekind zu Horst entrusted the design of their home, first to Federico d’Amato and then to the famous architect Marcello Piacentini. The patronage of the Ottolenghi’s brought to Monterosso significant artists such as Ferruccio Ferrazzi, Fortunato Depero, Adolfo Wildt, Arturo Martini, the Ferrari Masters. It was at Villa Ottolenghi that Arturo Martini produced some of his most important works, including “Tobias, Adam and Eve, the Lions of Monterosso”. Following the death of the couple, it was their son Astolfo who completed the villa and the garden designed by Pietro Porcinai in the 1950s, awarded in 2011 with the prestigious “European Garden Prize Award”.
Not far from the villa is the striking mausoleum called “Herta’s Temple”, and park based on a carefully planned scenic design known as “Earthly Paradise”. The Temple’s monumental portal, in engraved bronze, nickel and copper, is a masterpiece by the wrought iron masters Ernesto and Mario Ferrari, and serves as a prelude to the beauty of Ferruccio Ferrazzi’s frescoes and mosaics of Ravenna’s Mosaic School.
The fascination and beauty of the place is irresistible and charms every visitor.
Today it is possibile to sleep at the Villa in elegant, sumptuous bedrooms, a holiday among art, culture and wine and food in one of the most exclusive Relais to be found througout the Monferrato region.
At Villa Ottolenghi Wedekind’s resturant, the Chef Giorgio will delight your palate with traditional dishes from the Piemontese tradition, served with wines from the Borgo Monterosso Estate.